Monday, June 4, 2012

Sling? Carrier? Why Not Both?

I'm sure anyone who's ever done a baby registry can relate--do you want a sling, carrier, or just car seat with a stroller? I tossed and turned about it because it seemed like a crucial decision. After all making the right choice would dictate how much mobility mom and Thia would have to explore the rest of the world. 

In the end for registry purposes we decided on the Chicco Ultrasoft Carrier. We chose Chicco because it was a brand that several of parental friends chose and it was well rated. I haven't used it much. Miss Thia still can't hold her own head up for long periods of time, which is NOT a criteria for this carrier but seems to be for my child. She's a snuggler and wants to be close all the time, so feet dangling when she doesn't have more control makes her insane. I'm sure has she gets bigger she will love this carrier because she can face mommy/daddy or the world.
I also received a promotional sling from Seven Slings. This one seemed a little to tight for my angel and it's not really adjustable. I'm sure with super small babies it's a God send but for my baby who loves to eat, it's not great. However, I am looking forward to using it when she's bigger (like 9 months). Yes, I know what I just said; BUT this sling offers it self greatly as an on the hip holder.
With these two not being Thia's favorite things, I thought I was going to be doomed to only using one hand for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong--I can get WAY more done with one hand than I ever dreamed possible! (All you moms know exactly what I'm talking about!)

But when Thia was about two weeks old I was placing my order on Diapers.Com (a whole other post on this website later), and they had a promo for an item called the Baby K'Tan. Seriously this product is the best of both worlds, and unless Thia is super hungry she LOVES it! It has the cuddle factor of a good sling or wrap, but the true convenience of a carrier. But the best part is: it GROWS with Thia (holds up to 35 lbs). The Baby K'Tan is unbelievably versatile to find a position for any fussy baby--it can be a kangaroo hold, hug position, adventure position, explore position and the two-hip position. It's also designed to support your back and your baby. Plus it's t-shirt material and machine washable (which is essential for a new mom). But may favorite part about this kind of carrier: Strangers actually don't think it's okay to reach in and touch my baby!
Plus it comes in all sorts of colors--I got this fantastic eggplant shade!
Of course the tried and true Graco Snugride car seat is also wonderful. My angel loves to fall asleep in hers, and you don't wake a sleeping baby if you don't have to!


No comments:

Post a Comment