Thursday, June 7, 2012

Always to the Side

One question moms: How does your child sleep? And I'm not talking about on their back--that's a given! I mean does your child have a quirky position on top of that? Maybe other babies just sleep happily flat on their backs with no difference. Maybe my child is just an odd ball; it's possible--after all, she is my child.


Thia finds it very comfortable to sleep on her side. My guess is that's why she put herself in that position while in my tummy, because she manages to put herself in that position no matter where we have her now! Personally it doesn't look very comfortable to me.


Here's her on the swing:
She's buckled into the swing but still wiggled her way sideways. 
She also tries to do this in the car seat. (Sorry no picture--I focus on driving.) The car seat position especially she drives me nuts! I have her snugly fastened into her seat. Then 30 seconds down the road, she has her head (somehow) completely out of the head protector and leaning to her right side. If she could move her feet to the left in the car seat, I'm sure she would. This is where my paranoia comes in because not only does it not look comfortable it doesn't look safe! But there is nothing I can do--the straps won't go any tighter without cutting off her circulation. 


The most amazing way she does this is when she is completely swaddled in any of her beds  (Yes, with an "S!" That will be another blog.) We've swaddled hers in blankets and laid her down in a straight line in her bassinet, snuggle nest, crib and she still puts herself diagonally.  I mean that's talent! Also that's scary because I don't want her to start crawling next week, and with that much movement who knows! (Just kidding, I know that's not possible; right?)
I swear her head was in the middle of the bed when we laid her down!
Thia also tries to do this when she's in her bouncer, too. With the bouncer I cut her off quick though because she could touch the ground with her long arms and bring the bouncer over. With the swing and car seat, she's not going anywhere. And I guess that's the answer. As long as she's comfortable and can't hurt herself, why stop her? I'm learning to just enjoy and revel in her quirks (even when my knee jerk reaction is to straighten her out)! 

2 comments:

  1. ada used to do the same thing! she refused to sit straight in anything! her favorite way to nap was in her swing, twisted sideways. it did a number on the motor and the batteries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the bloh about her bedS! But i will just say "ain't no shame"... Reece has his nursery for nighttime and a separate "napping room" during the day. Whatever works and keeps my sanity intact is what we do!

    ReplyDelete