Thursday, March 1, 2012

Naming Your Heart

Naming your baby is just that--naming your heart. Baby Girl Kotowski has a name, but I don't want to share it with the masses yet (I'm superstitious, remember?). For the record though, it wasn't hard for us to agree on a name. The hubby and I are very team like people--if BGK had been a boy, he would get to pick out his name. My dear hubby didn't win that lottery; he was allowed "yea" or "neigh" privileges. 

While I'm thrilled to call my daughter her official name while holding her in my arms, that's not the type of names I'm talking about. All parents, especially fathers, have a tendency to nickname their children. It's not new or different, but can be extremely amusing. My dad to this day still calls me "punkin," and I wouldn't trade it for the world. He called my brothers "champ," "pokey" and "Mr. C"--respectively. My mom always called us by loving adjective names--ms. priss, angel, buddy, love, etc.

Before we knew BGK was a girl, I called her bean because I hated using the word "it."Now I call her by a shortened version of her real name. (I'm not really trying to be a tease, but I prefer only family and close friends know her name before she arrives. Sorry!) 

My husband started calling the belly "Bubba" when I started showing, which was before finding out that lots of pink and purple were in our future. I'll be honest, once he found out, I thought she would have a new nickname from her already doting father--I was wrong. He almost exclusively calls her Bubba regardless of pointing out that Bubba is in fact a she.

At first it worried me--what if she has a complex? Then I thought about it and realized Bubba was a little less manly than some of my grandpa's nicknames for my aunts (one is Butch and the other is Gus). Both of my aunts turned out better than okay; so who am I to judge? Plus it's really adorable. 

I have no idea how long the nickname will continue, but I'm fairly certain it will exist beyond her birth. And truthfully, I know she will adore her dad because I do. More than likely it will be a special bond for them...that is until she has a crush in middle school and asks her daddy to please not call her that in public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment