Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Already a Character

Because of my complications (no worries--Baby Girl Kotowski is fantastic!) I currently have to go see my OB once a week (this doesn't count other doctor visits...I have become a professional patient). Despite the tediousness of having to see at least one doctor once a week, it does bring me some amusement. After all if you're not laughing at something, you're not enjoying life.


Perhaps the biggest inconvenience of these appointments is the fact that at a minimum they last an hour. During the appointments BGK and I have to be electronically monitored for at least 45 minutes, then be ultrasound and chat with my amazing OB (seriously if you need a recommendation in the Los Angeles area, let me know!).  Sounds very intimidating and nerve wracking; right?


It certainly was at first. The first time I showed up for the monitoring I had no idea what it encompassed. I was exuding anxiety and hormonally on the verge of tears during the whole lead up. So, the nurse tried to be very soothing. She hooked the pink belt around my tummy to hear BGK's heartbeat...She moved it around a little bit, which is normal, but couldn't find it. So, she kept moving it around...and kept moving it around. Needless to say, my anxiety was starting to hit the roof when I started feeling BGK moving fast and furious. 


All the anxiety and tears made way for a whole different emotion and sound--humor and laughter. This poor nurse continued to try to find BGK's heartbeat for about 5 minutes, but BGK thought the monitor was a toy. Monitor was placed and she kicked it like it was a soccer ball--over and over again. So many times in fact the nurse walked away and came back 10 minutes later.  Yes, my unborn daughter is so big of a character that she is already frustrating nurses. Oy!


Who could stay mad at this face?
BGK and I have been back several times for this monitoring since. But all the times until today was a different nurse. The nurse the last couple of weeks could find the heartbeat right away (admittedly it's gotten much easier since BGK is a bit of a hoss and doesn't have has much room to flip or anything). However, this morning I was back to my original nurse.  She called my name, saw me stand up and said, "Oh no!" 


Yep, BGK has traumatized a young nurse already! My only response (while giggling) was, "I think she'll behave better this time." And she did! I'm happy she behaved; however, her first embarrassing story for family/friends/future love interests as already been born.



No comments:

Post a Comment